What I've been reading while I've been writing

Naturally, when I set out to write Tendrils to the Moon, I surveyed the current market of Moon-focused science fiction. Some of the novels I found looked good and I added them to my reading list. I dared not read them, however. In fact, I've been staying away from science fiction altogether since I started writing Tendrils in January.

I made this decision for two reasons:

  1. If I had read something that I liked or admired for its execution, I would have been tempted to either emulate it or do it in a different way, limiting my creativity.
  2. If I had read something that I loved, I might have lost confidence that I could ever write anything as good, become discouraged, and given up.

Instead, I've been reading fantasy novels. So far I've read The Shining, Needle Ash, and The Water of Awakening. I started The Way of Kings, but I'm not close to finishing it yet. So far it has the most comprehensive worldbuilding outside of Tolkien's Legendarium.

I prefer reading fantasy over sci-fi because the prose style is closer to my own writing style, and I think overall it's a better genre. Fantasy has more relatable characters and more relatable stories. Most sci-fi is hit or miss. Too often sci-fi uses weird storytelling mechanics that alienate me as a reader. Harvest of Stars is a good example of this: The last hundred pages summarizss the next thousand years in the story, killing any momentum for an enjoyable climax. Take note: Grounded plots with relatable characters make the best stories.

Fantasy as a genre is not without flaws, however. It is notorious for bloat and sequel-itis. Tendrils to the Moon has bloated more than 30,000 words over its target word count, and there could be a sequel in the offing. I think I'd like to try my hand at fantasy first, though. I've already begun working on an outline. Maybe when I start that project, I'll read the sci-fi that's been waiting in my reading queue.

Leave a comment below and let me know what you think! Which genre do you prefer, fantasy or sci-fi? I'll respond to your comment as soon as I can. Also, don't forget to sign up for the mailing list. Members of the mailing list will receive a free digital copy of Tendrils to the Moon when it becomes available on or before July. I'm putting together the last few scenes to bridge the middle of the book and the climax.

No comments:

Post a Comment