Hard sci-fi

One of subgenres of science fiction is "hard" science fiction, which connotes an attempt to constrain the fictional universe with real limitations. The opposite of this is space opera, which are basically heroic fantasy/adventure stories that happen to be set in space. For example, in a "hard" sci-fi novel, enabling gravity on a spaceship entails overcoming the natural weightlessness of space. A space opera wouldn't bother with this detail.

I would classify Tendrils to the Moon as hard science fiction (although it does not demand a lot of a priori knowledge from the reader). There are no aliens and no mystical or supernatural elements. The plot is bound by technology that either currently exists or at least seems feasible. In fact, a major plot point in the first act is premised on an activity that is not feasible without existing technology.

While I was writing, I researched a variety of topics related to the plot:

  • SCUBA diving equipment
  • rockclimbing
  • two-way radios
  • rocket engines
  • orbit types
  • in situ resource utilization
  • gas pressures, molar masses, and volumes
  • lunar geography
  • lunar soil properties
  • concrete foundation laying
  • hydroponic gardening
  • thermal expansion of metals and
  • concrete
  • conductivity of metals
  • centripetal/centrifugal force
  • health effects of weightlessness
  • health effects of hypoxia

...and probably more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. The reason I do research is simple: worldbuilding. I want to be conversant in the characters' areas of expertise. I want to show them doing their jobs in order to immerse the reader in the physical possibilities and limitations of the setting. And since this is science fiction, I want to offset the unfamiliarity of the setting with concepts familiar to the reader.

That being said, I'm the first to admit there are parts of Tendrils to the Moon that do not hold up under close scrutiny. I'm fine with that, as long as the overall narrative is convincing.

Please sign up for the mailing list on the right side of the blog page. Or, if you're viewing this on the mobile site, click here. Members of the mailing list will receive a free digital copy of Tendrils to the Moon when it becomes available on or before July 1. I'm currently writing the last few scenes that bridge book's middle and the climax.

Leave a comment below and let me know what you think! I'll respond to it as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment