Delete your account

Facebook burst on the scene my freshman year in college. It was how I stayed connected with my college friends, and later my high school friends, and yet later everyone else, including my favorite musicians. Everyone I know and have known is on Facebook.

It was nice to see people who I hadn't seen in years getting married, having kids, going on vacation, and starting new jobs. Somewhere along the way Facebook changed. It's now a place of, in David V Stewart's words, "embarrassing ugliness;" where people emote about what's on TV, usually the news. It's especially bad in election years.

I don't mind this type of content on Twitter because I don't interact in person with anyone I know on Twitter. My community is formed around sociocultural kinship and common creative goals. (As well as anyone who finds and likes my writing.) My interactions on Facebook ironically feel less real because I know my acquaintances wouldn't say half this stuff in real life.

For years I had been toying with the idea of deleting Facebook. The virtue signaling and agenda pushing in the wake of these criminal riots were my breaking point. It pains me to see people of my faith whose company I enjoy being taken hostage by racial propoganda. But more importantly I can't let my friends' foolish social media posts be the first thing I think about when I see them.

My participation in Facebook was preventing me from loving my Christian brothers as I should, so I deleted it. If anything has that effect on you, do not hesitate to cut it out of your life. The evil one is using it as a foothold to take charge of your soul.

As always, let me know what you think in the comments. If you like hard sci-fi, check out my books Seeds of Calamity and Tendrils to the Moon. You can find extended previews for each here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment